Conducted by Christopher Bell, the National Youth Choir of Scotland is joined by the Royal Scottish National Orchestra for the premiere recording of Cantos Sagrados in the orchestral version. One of Sir James MacMillan’s most powerful works, it is timeless and contemporary, sacred and secular.
This release also features works by Whitacre, Musgrave, Ešenvalds, Tippet and Biebl with intense and passionate music ideally suited to the National Youth Choir of Scotland. With themes of love and death, many of these tracks, comedic in places, are favourites of the choir from over the years.
The album has been recorded with support from NYCOS Friends, Ken and Mairi Paterson.
- 1–3. Cantos Sagrados (James MacMillan)
- 4. Leonardo Dreams of His Flying Machine (Eric Whitacre)
- 5–8. On the Underground, Set 2: The Strange and the Exotic (Thea Musgrave)
- 9. Amazing Grace (Eriks Ešenvalds)
- 10. When David Heard (Eric Whitacre)
- 11–15. Five Spirituals from A Child of our Time (Michael Tippett)
- 16. Ave Maria (Franz Biebl)