National Choirs

Funding Information

Support from NYCOS

Thanks to our donors and supporters NYCOS is able to operate a bursary programme to provide financial assistance towards fees for NYCOS National Choirs and/or expenses incurred travelling to and from the residential course and concerts.

To apply for financial assistance from NYCOS follow the payment instructions on your offer letter. Once the payee has logged into their account you will find a ‘apply for financial assistance’ link to the application form under the ‘Pay by Card’ button.

Other Sources of Funding

To help ensure the maximum number of people can benefit from the NYCOS bursary programme you are encouraged to pursue other ways to obtain assistance with the payment of course fees.

Some possible points of contact are:-

1) Local authority Education/Community Arts and Leisure Departments
2) Educational Trusts
3) Universities and Colleges
4) School Funds
5) Rotary Clubs/local businesses
6) Charitable Trusts

The most important thing when applying to organisations is to be very positive. There are a number of good things you can mention:

  • You have been auditioned and accepted from a large number of applicants.
  • You have been accepted for a National Youth Organisation.
  • You are representing your School/University/Area/District at a National Level.

Don’t forget that when you are asked how much NYCOS membership costs, to include the cost of transport from your area to the residential course.

If you are asked to provide the name of a contact person within NYCOS, then refer to Morag Campbell, Chief Executive, NYCOS, The Mitchell, North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN

1) Local Authorities

Aberdeen City
Aberdeen City is currently unable to provide funding for individuals.
Aberdeen Endowments Trust is worth trying. You will find a link on the Aberdeen City Council website

Aberdeenshire Education Funding, Aberdeenshire Council, Woodhill House, Westburn Road, Aberdeen, AB16 5GB

Director of Education Services, Angus House, Orchardbank Business Park, Forfar, DD8 1AE

Argyll & Bute
Argyll & Bute Wide & Art, Eileen Rae, Arts Development Officer, Eaglesham House, Mount Pleasant Road, Rothesay, PA20 9HH

Clackmannanshire Educational Trust, Facilities, Schools & Welfare Team, Services to People, Lime Tree House, Castle Street, Alloa, FK10 1EX

Dumfries & Galloway
Dumfries and Galloway is currently unable to provide funding for individuals.

Dundee City
Emily Dewhurst, Music Development Officer, DCA, 152 Nethergate, Dundee DD1 4DY

East Ayrshire
Educational & Social Services, Admin Officer, East Ayrshire Council, Council Headquarters, London Road, Kilmarnock, KA3 7BU

East Dunbartonshire
The Education Dept, Boclair House, 100 Milngavie Road, Bearsden, East Dunbartonshire, G61 2TQ East Lothian East Lothian Council, John Muir House, Haddington EH41 3HA

East Renfrewshire
East Renfrewshire is currently unable to provide funding for individuals.

City of Edinburgh
City of Edinburgh is currently unable to provide funding for individuals.

Gayle Martin, Cultural Co-ordinator,

Fife Community Services, Fife Council, Rothesay House, Glenrothes KY7 5PQ. Apply online. Applications can be made throughout the year but must be made before the course starts.

City of Glasgow
City of Glasgow no longer provides funding for individuals.

Grants for individuals

We are not aware of any funding support from Inverclyde

We are not aware of any funding support from Midlothian.


North Ayrshire
Contact North Ayrshire Council, Arts and Culture Nurturing Excellence Programme, Education and Skills, Harbour Arts Centre, 114-116 Harbour Street, Irvine KA12 8PZ

Ayrshire Educational Trust

North Lanarkshire
Lanarkshire Educational Trust Scheme Orkney Islands

Perth & Kinross
Perth & Kinross Grants Direct, The Administrator, 2 High Street, Perth, PH1 1UJ

Education & Learning, Renfrewshire Council, Renfrewshire House, Cotton Street, Paisley, PA1 1UJ. Applications must be made before the funding body meets in January.

Scottish Borders

Shetland Islands
Executive Director of Education & Social Care, Hazel Sutherland, Hayfield House, Hayfield Lane, Lerwick, Shetland, ZE1 0QD

South Ayrshire
Individual application forms can be accessed here

South Lanarkshire
Lanarkshire Educational Trust Scheme Quality Improvement Officer, Learning and Leisure Services, Municipal Buildings, Kildonan Street, Coatbridge, ML5 3BT Phone: 01236 812212

Director of Children’s Services, Stirling Council, Viewforth, Stirling, FK8 2ET

West Dunbartonshire
Director of Educational Services, West Dunbartonshire Council Offices, Garshake Road, Dumbarton, G82 3PU

West Lothian
West Lothian Council is no longer able to provide funding for individuals.

Western Isles

The Ross and Cromarty Educational Trust may be of interest to some.

2) Educational Trusts

It is worth asking your council about Educational Trusts. (There are links to some of them in the information above). These have been in existence for some time and maybe a throwback to the old shires which were in operation before Regionalisation in 1976. They will usually carry the name of the old geographical boundary and only award grants to those resident within the original area. Such trusts are often independent of the authority but have authority representation on the board of trustees. Educational Trusts that have supported recently include Ayrshire Educational Trust, Lanarkshire Educational Trust, Roxburghshire Educational Trust, Stirlingshire Educational Trust.

3) Universities and Colleges

Some past members have been funded by colleges, universities or individual faculties within a university. You could approach the Bursar’s Department, Secretary to the University, the Alumni Fund or your Faculty Dean for information. Universities that have supported in the past include Heriot-Watt University, The University of Strathclyde and Stirling University.

4) School Funds

Many individual schools have funded members in the past. This money has come from parent’s associations or funds available to the school from the local authority for extracurricular activities. Ask your principal teacher of music or your head teacher.

5) Rotary Clubs/Local Businesses

Some rotary clubs and individual businesses have supported past members. You should try to make a personal contact before writing with your application.

6) Charitable Trusts

There are a number of trusts throughout the country who will support individuals for music courses. Trusts who have supported in the past include Banker’s Benevolent Fund, The Bridgeton Burns Club, Cash for Kids, Clackmannanshire Arts Forum, Glasgow Ayrshire Society, Gordon Arts Forum, Lanarkshire Educational Trust, Holywood Trust, Caroline Fitzmaurice Trust, The Tullochan Trust and The Princes Trust.

The Agar Trust helps young people aged 8-21 who live in the remoter parts of Scotland.

All forms of support notified to NYCOS will be acknowledged in the concert programme.