Funding Information

You are encouraged to pursue ways in which you can obtain assistance with the payment of course fees. It will take a bit of effort on your behalf but it is worth it - assistance with course fees is out there, but you can only get help if you try.

Some possible points of contact are:-

1) Local authority Education /Community Arts and Leisure Departments
2) Educational Trusts
3) Universities and Colleges
4) School Funds
5) Rotary Clubs/local businesses
6) Charitable Trusts

The most important thing when applying to organisations is to be very positive. There are a number of good things you can mention:

You have been auditioned and accepted from a large number of applicants.
You have been accepted for a National Youth Organisation.
You are representing your School/University/Area/District at a National Level.

Don't forget that when you are asked how much NYCoS membership costs, to include the cost of transport from your area to the residential course.

If you are asked to provide the name of a contact person within NYCoS, then refer to Joan Gibson, Chief Executive, NYCoS, The Mitchell, North Street, Glasgow G3 7DN

The following information is correct at time of publication.

1) Local Authorities

Aberdeen City
Youth Activities Small Grants Funding, Barbara B Cowie, Development Officer, Community Planning and Rengeneration, Strategic Leadership, St Nicholas House, Broad Street, Aberdeen, AB10 1GZ

Shimei Wang, Development Officer, Community Planning and Regeneration, Strategic Leadership, St Nicholas House, Broad Street, Aberdeen, AB10 1GZ

Education Funding, Aberdeenshire Council, Woodhill House, Westburn Road, Abeerdeen, AB16 5GB

Director of Education Services, Angus House, Orchardbank Business Park, Forfar, DD8 1AE

Argyll & Bute
Argyll & Bute Wide & Art, Eileen Rae, Arts Development Officer, Eaglesham House, Mount Pleasant  Road, Rothesay, PA20 9HH

Clackmannanshire Educational Trust, Facilities, Schools & Welfare Team, Services to People, Lime Tree House, Castle Street, Alloa, FK10 1EX

Dumfries & Galloway
Area Committees, Voluntary Sector Funding Co-ordinator, Community & Support Services, Dumfries & Galloway Council, Woodbank, 30 Edinburgh Road, Dumfries, DG1 1NW

Dundee City

Mr D Stewart, Arthurstone Community Library, 5 Arthurstone Terrace, Dundee, DD4 6RT

East Ayrshire
Educational & Social Services, Mrs Marilyn Miller, Admin Officer, East Ayrshire Council, Council Headquarters, Loondon Road, Kilmarnock, KA3 7BU

East Dunbartonshire
The Education Dept., Boclair House, 100 Milngavie Road, Bearsden, East Dunbartonshire, G61 2TQ

East Renfrewshire
N/A NYCoS applies for a block grant, which is then used to support school pupils and students within Glasgow City Council area.

City of Edinburgh
Children & Families, Education Grants Administrator, Waverley Court, 4 East Market Street, Edinburgh, EH8 8BG


Gillian Thomson, Falkirk Council Education Services, McLaren House, Marchmont Avenue, Polmont, FK2 0NZ

Download information at and search for 'grants and funding' or Download application at
For more information contact:
Gordon Hynd, Community Services, Fife Council, Rothesay House, Glenrothes, KY7 5PQ
T: 08451 55 55 55

City of Glasgow
N/A, NYCoS applies for a block grant, which is then used to support school pupils and students within the Glasgow City Council area.

Education, Culture & Sport Service, Jeannie Graham, External Funding Manager, Glenurquhart Road, Inverness, IV3 5NX


Education & Learning, Catriona Henderson, Arts Development Officer, Inverclyde Council, Municipal Buildings, Greenock, PA15 1LY


Community & Learning Development, Matthew Summors, Senior Support Assistant, Fairfield House, 8 Lothian Road, Dalkeith, EH22 3ZG

Educational Services, Administrative Officer - Grants & Bursaries, The Moray Council, Council Office, High Street, Elgin, IV30 4NP

North Ayrshire
Mr Martin Rainey, Principal Officer, North Ayrshire Council, Educational Services, 5th Floorm Cunninghame House, Irvine, Ayrshire, KA12 8EE.
T: 01294 324424/324428

North Lanarkshire
Arts - Talented & Gifter Young People's Grant Scheme, Administrator, Creative Services, Buchanan Business Park, Stepps, Glasgow, G33 6HR

Orkney Islands

Orkney Education Trust Awards
Orkney Islands Council, Customer Services, School Place, Kirkwall, Orkney, KW15 1NY

Perth & Kinross

Perth & Kinross Grants Direct, The Administrator, 2 High Street, Perth, PH1 1UJ

Education & Learning, Renfrewshire Council, Renfrewshire House, Cotton Street, Paisley, PA1 1UJ

Scottish Borders

Director of Education & Lifelong Learning
Glenn Rodger, Council Headquarters, Newton St Boswells, Melrose, TD6 0SA

Shetland Islands
Executive Director of Education & Social Care, Hazel Sutherland, Hayfield House, Hayfield Lane, Lerwick, Shetland, ZE1 0QD

South Ayrshire
Director of Education, Culture & Lifelong Learning, Mike McCage, South Ayrshire Council, County Buildings, Wellington Square, Ayr, KA7 1DR

South Lanarkshire

Senior Arts Development Officer, Scott Morrice, Arts Development Team, Hamilton Town House, 102 Cadzow St., Hamilton, ML3 6HH


Director of Children's Services, David Cameron, Stirling Council, Viewforth, Stirling, FK8 2ET

West Dunbartonshire
Director of Educational Services, West Dunbartonshire Council Offices, Garshake Road, Dumbarton, G82 3PU

West Lothian
Arts Education Service, Arts Education Co-ordinator, Laura Tyrell, West Lothian Council,  West Lothian House, Almondvale Boulevard, Livingston, West Lothian, EH54 6QG

Western Isles
Director of Department of Education, Murdo Macleod, Comhairle nan Eilean Siar, Sandwick Road, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis, HS1 2BW

2) Educational Trusts

It is worth asking your council about Educational Trusts. These have been in existence for some time and may be a throwback to the old shires which were in operation before Regionalisation in 1976. They will usually carry the name of the old geographical boundary and only award grants to those resident within the original area. Such trusts are often independent of the authority but have authority representation on the board of trustees. Educational Trusts that have supported recently include Ayrshire Educational Trust, Lanarkshire Educational Trust, Roxburghshire Educational Trust, Stirlingshire Educational Trust.

3) Universities and Colleges

Some past members have been funded by colleges, universities or individual faculties within a university. You could approach the Bursar's Department, Secretary to the University, the Alumni Fund or your Faculty Dean for information. Universities that have supported in the past include Heriot Watt University and Stirling University.

4) School Funds

Many individual schools have funded members in the past. This money has come from parent's associations or funds available to the school from the local authority for extra curricular activities. Ask your principal teacher of music or your head teacher.

5) Rotary Clubs/Local Businesses

Some rotary clubs and individual businesses have supported past members. You should try to make a personal contact before writing with your application.

6) Charitable Trusts

There are a number of trusts throughout the country who will support individuals for music courses. A source of information is the Scottish Trusts Guide which you should find in the local library. Trusts who have supported in the past include Banker's Benevolent Fund, The Bridgeton Burns Club, Clackmannanshire Arts Forum, Glasgow Ayrshire Society, Gordon Arts Forum, Lanarkshire Educational Trust, Holywood Trust, Caroline Fitzmaurice Trust and The Princes Trust.

All forms of support notified to NYCoS will be acknowledged in the concert programme.

Glasgow City Council